I put the "ladies" in their new coop while the paint was still drying. That's how desperate I was to get them in.
They were happy to be in a new place, but were very confused at dusk. They hunkered down in a corner the first night.
The second night, a few of them found the nesting boxes to be accommodating, but they couldn't figure out how to get down.
I had to lift them down and scare them out into the chicken run. After three days of this, they figured it out and now, they are happily enjoying the scraps we take out to them each day, pecking through the pine shavings and doing other chickeny things.
I love having such a well-designed coop. It's all about being lazy at the right times.
Hey dad! Thanks for building a chicken coop with me! What an amazing summer project. Remember, "I HELPING!"
I'll be honest, we had no idea what we were doing.
Fortunately, my dad is THE most patient person on earth, so I'm still alive, but just barely.
I had our chicken coop plans drawn out and he had to interpret them. I can't draw 3 dimensionally. We started the project with about 75% of an idea of what we wanted the finished coop to look like and we talked over a lot of scenarios while we worked.
The spare wood ran out quickly, but having it saved us lots of time and money. I knew the whole coop would have to be painted, so we decided that the inevitable imperfections gave the chicken palace "charm."
Hopefully, the photos will tell the story.